17 common things in your home that could be poisoning your pet

sad bored dog lab

Your animals may be like part of the family, but that doesn’t mean they should be eating what you eat. It also means they can’t be trusted not to try and gobble up potentially harmful products around your home.

We spoke with a series of pet experts — including pet safety expert and author of “The Safe Dog Handbook” Melanie Monteiro, pet expert Arden Moore at Four Legged Life, and director of the ASPCA’s Animal Poison Control Center Dr. Tina Wismer who compiles the ASPCA’s annual toxin list — who all gave us a litany of common household items that are damanging to our pets’ health.

Keep scrolling to see the list and possible side effects.

SEE ALSO: 29 things dogs should never eat

FOLLOW US: INSIDER is on Facebook

Flowers and other plants

According to Dr. Wismer, plants accounted for 5.2% of the APCC’s animal poison-related emergencies in 2016.

Not only can indoor and outdoor plants be dangerous, but so can your bouquets. Azaleas, daffodils, oleanders, tulips, and more can all be harmful to your animals. And lilies especially are dangerous — “All varites of lilies are toxic to cats,” Monteiro told INSIDER.

For a complete list of plants toxic to pets, visit this site.

Dust (especially from home renovations)

People renovating houses or sanding anything down should be incredibly careful of their pets licking or inhaling those dusts.

“If your house was built in the 1970s, you need to be really careful about lead-based paint,” Dr. Wismer cautions pet owners. “If you are sanding these surfaces, your dogs and cats will be inhaling the dust, licking the dust, and can have reactions like seizures and poisonings.”

It’s also dangerous to children and adults, as well.

Pennies minted after 1982

Monteiro said to avoid any new pennies minted after 1982 “due to high zinc content,” which can cause vomiting and anemia.

There’s been one case of a dog dying after eating a penny, and the American Veterinary Medical Association cautions pet owners to keep these newer pennies away from dogs as well as cats, too.

“Zinc toxicosis is more commonly seen in dogs, but cats can get sick from eating pennies, too,” Dr. Rebecca Jackson, a staff veterinarian at Petplan pet insurance, told CBSNews. “Be sure to bank your spare change before curious pets can get their paws on it — and if they do, get them to the emergency vet immediately.”

See the rest of the story at INSIDER
Source: http://www.thisisinsider.com/dangerous-things-home-pet-poisoning-2017-5


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s